Everyone,

This has been an interesting discussion about collection donations. As a museum
collection manager, I can tell you that we love to get donations. However I can
let you in on a few tips that will get your donated collection more attention
and get it moved up the priority list for curation and integration.

1. Proper labels!!! This is the single biggest reason some donated collections
languish in corners in museums. Code numbers as labels, ambiguous geographic
references (e.g. Santa Rosa Mexico), and labels on only the first specimen of a
series means a lot more work is going to be needed to bring this collection up
to a level where it can be integrated with our general collection. Chances are
such a collection will end up in a corner somewhere. Even with good labels,
complete geographic information should be included--Country, state or province,
locality, direction and distance to nearest town, and lat & long are always
nice. I have thrown away aquatic collections that just say Bear Creek or Dry
Creek since there are multiple locations in California with these names. All
things being equal, if two collections come in, one labeled by the donator and
one I have to label, the labeled collection will be top priority for
integration every time.

2. Specimen condition. Space is money! If your collection of say crickets has
the antennae going everywhere and the legs all sprawly, each specimen will
probably need to be hydrated and all the body parts tucked in so they can be
safely and efficiently stored. All things being equal, a collection where the
specimens are nicely and compactly mounted will get priority over a donated
collection where every specimens will need to be remounted.

3. Donate some money with your collection for integration. Drawers are probably
around $75 these days fully decked out with units and all. A donation of as
little as two or three mailing boxes of insects might easily expand to fill a
drawer if all the species are housed separately. If your collection is labeled
and identified, it still has to be integrated with our collection. This entails
finding the place where each species goes in our collection and moving the
specimens there. If we do not have that species, we have to add it in, which
means finding the information for the header label, printing the label, cutting
it out, and putting it in the new unit. At the end of a large donation, there
is probably some adjustments to our inventory that have to be made which means
changing entries in the database and printing and installing new drawer labels,
both for the drawers where your material went, but also for the drawers that
come after that point to the end of the family. A drawer from your collection
may take 5 hours of time to integrate with ours if there are a lot of species
we need to add. Even with student labor at $8.50/hour, this can be a large
expense for a cabinet of insects. All things being equal, projects that have
income associated with them (fulfilling awarded grants and contracts, doing pay
for service id's, doing research for which I might get a good evaluation) will
take priority over projects that will cost us money.

4. Be realistic about your collection. A large donation of say determined
Tenebrionidae, to pick a random group, will certainly move up ahead on my to do
list over another donation of Sierra frits from the same old localities or
scarabs from Madera Canyon. Sorry to step on a few toes, but as curators, we
think about the value a donated collection will add to the information base
available to the research systematics community. Things collected over and
over, even if pretty, in general hold less value for the research museum
curator than collections of small dark things likely to include new species. If
you do have a collection of Sierra frits from the same old localities or
scarabs from Madera Canyon, you might want to think about donating to a
collection in the eastern US where such material would be considered more
exotic. If you do want to collect butterflies, think about improving the value
of your collection now--new collecting localities (take those collecting trips
to Colorado or Alaska you have always been talking about), try to document
first and last butterflies of the year at the same place every year, record
highest and lowest elevation records every year, expand into lycaenids or some
group of moths, etc. There are still treasures out there. What might be the
largest population of the dogface was discovered only a few years ago by an
amateur looking in a new place.

Dr. Steven L. Heydon
Bohart Museum of Entomology
University of California at Davis