I disagree Brad. I have enough emails as it is without receiving emails not really addressed to me or the group. I someone wants to reply to the group, they can select "reply all". If you find some replies of potential interest to the group, you can make a condensed version of these replies and send these to the group.
My thoughts
Rolf

-----Original Message----- From: Brad Kelley
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:07 PM
To: PCES@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [PCES] Default replies to list

Not sure of the procedure or admin (Kip?) but I would like to request that
replies to the emails in this list default to the list rather than the
sender.

I received some replies to my recent post that would have been valuable to
the group, not just me, and defaulting replies to the group would enhance
discussion.

I know there were some who, in the past, objected to "blather" but I find
the discussion to be valuable and have no problem filtering out the few
items of no interest to me.  It seems to be a contradiction to have a
discussion list with no discussion.

To the admin:  You probably already know this but the setting should be
under "Advanced/General Options/Reply goes to list"

"Choose whether you want the default setting for replies to list messages to
be the original poster, the list, or a specific email address. If you want
your list to be used for discussions, setting this option to This list is
probably best."

Thanks for your consideration

Brad