Hi,

> The thing is that PCRE is often built along with other projects. The
> more autoconf magic we add, the worst, since those options are
> unlikely to be picked up by these projects bundling PCRE.  (and I

I totally agree with this. However, adding everything to pcre.h makes it far
less readable. In sljit, I introduced separate header files for compiler magic.
And __has_attribute breaks the rule that everything must be prefixed by pcre or
PCRE.

> This attribute has nothing to do with glibc. It is used by gcc/clang
> to provide useful warnings for, e.g., array out-of-bounds indexing.

Still seems a research thingy for me. Just out of curiosity did you actually
captured anything with it in PCRE?

>Apart of the warnings, it can be used for optimizations, and run-time
>code instrumentation.

Actually both in pcre and in sljit, malloc is rarely used by design, so I am
still unsure about its benefit.

I am not against this feature, but I really would like to see a real use case
which benefit from adding more symbols to a header file. Btw did you try JIT? I
suspect it would offer far more speedup than any malloc optimization.

Regards,
Zoltan