Not solved yet...

Original Problem ... This has been going on since I've had this setup,
Windows98, a pentium Hewlett-Packard, plenty of memory, everything works
well (about 2 and a half years).

Whenever I copy files to a RW-CD (that's how I back up my material), the
names all change to caps. It happens also when copying from the RW-CD to
the hard drive. It does not change the functioning of the system; all
works well. It's just that the file names take up too much room and
often I find myself just retyping lower case.

Is there anyway of preventing that? (if you need anymore information,
let me know) ...  Harold B.

>From Keith Thompson ... Bring up a windows Explorer window and click on
View, the folder options. Click on the View tab and check to see that
the 'allow upper case' is not checked. If its checked, this is the
source of your problem. Uncheck it and the file name case should return
to the lower case.

Thanks Keith ... must be another solution as that box has always been
unchecked, in fact, it is the default setting. Note that this "changing
from lower case to upper case" only takes place when copying or moving
files from on drive to another. When staying within a drive, the problem
is not there. ... Harold B.