Harold, the tray icons for "Safely Remove Hardware" refer to the memory card readers you have on the front of your Compaq (and almost every other new Compaq/HP computer on the market). So unless you disconnect these items from the motherboard internally then they are here to stay.

And you cannot delete the Windows Security System or Center, it is still running in the background. You can turn off the service, not delete it.

BTW Harold, how much memory is installed on your Compaq? Is it 512 mb or 1024 mb? Having several icons are not going to cause any difficulty here.

HTH

Peter Kaulback

Harold B. wrote:
Hello again,

Using Windows XP on a Compaq and using AVG and ZoneAlarm along with Ad-aware,
Spybot, etc. to protect the system, and having heard that it is not wise to
use multiple vir*s protectors, I deleted what is called here, "Windows
Security System". I see no adverse effects but the "Windows Security Alerts"
icon remains on the System Tray. It looks like a small red badge with a white
x on it. Does anyone know where in the system I can remove that icon OR, is
there any program that removes "stubborn" icons from the System Tray?

While I'm at it, there is also an icon there called "Safely Remove Hardware"
and when open, there are two icons listed both reading "USB Mass Storage
Device" (which contrary to the name, "Safely Remove Hardware," will never stay
removed). Since nothing else ever appears in that  "Safely Remove Hardware"
window, I might use the above mentioned System Tray "stubborn icon remover"
(if there is one) to also remove that "Safely Remove Hardware" icon. I'd be
happy to keep just three icons in that System Tray (AVG, ZoneAlarm, and the
internet connection; I don't count the clock as an icon). --- Harold