From: Peter Kaulback
Harold, how many of your files are in bitmap form? All of mine save for bliss are in jpeg, 36 images in all.--- Peter Kaulback

Harold B. wrote:
I can't understand why the wallpapers (I think some call them "backgrounds") found in C:\Windows\Web\Wallpapers are in bmp form when those same files in jpg form would be taking up so much less space, and looking just as good as the screen's background. I don't use any wallpaper but even if I were to use a family picture as wallpaper, I would certainly use it in jpg form. Now the questions:

1. Why would the manufacturer offer them in bmp form? and
2. Is there any program that will change a folder full of bmp's to jpg's in one fell swoop? This second question is one I'm just curious about --- Harold

Now THAT'"S a coinkie dinkie. Your question is interesting because after deleting all those other images (and maybe all the other's were jpg's) it is "bliss" that is the only one I kept in that Wallpapers folder. And why is that? Because it is a beautiful feild of green that one seldom sees here in NYC. The sky part I see plenty because I live overlooking the Atlantic Ocean (Brighton Beach).

As much as I'm "a stickler for saving space" (John Flynn's expression, and he's right), I don't throw everything away. So maybe from the old Windows versions and from this Win XP, I've accumulated bmp and jpg files that come with the computer and that I never look at (all saved in my flash drive doing nothing there). So I was just wondering how they can all be made bmp's only if I wanted to do that. It's just a matter of curiousiy; and maybe it's that "power thing" that some computer users enjoy. What's interesting is that "bliss" is the only file I have sitting there all by it's 'lil 'ol self. Often for the fun of it, I might from the internet try a new picture just to see how it looks as a background <snip>. For that one shot, it is unecessary to put it in the Wallpapers folder where it would then be part of the Display Properties window. My usual background is the Windows default; simple enough. --- Harold

PS ... Thanks, Clint, using IrfanView along with the Registry to change a folder full of bmp's to jpg's in one move is more than I want to get involved with. But it's interesting to know that it CAN be done.