The only thing I see on the Picasa site is a need for IE 6 or better, and they recommend Direct X 9.
Maybe if she logged in as administrator?

Peter Kaulback wrote:
On my mothers computer (XP pro sp2) she is trying to install Picasa2 but the installer says she doesn't have rights to install or update yet she is in a full admin account, the only admin account actually.

She can reinstall or install anything else but Picasa. It's very odd.

Any ideas?