On Dec 4, 2006, at 10:38 AM, Thomas Grill wrote:

Am 04.12.2006 um 15:30 schrieb Hans-Christoph Steiner:

We are in the middle of trying to make [hidio] as robust as possible in terms of plugging and unplugging devices. One thing I noticed is that if I have Pd running only a sine wave, then I plug or unplug a USB device, I get an interruption in the sound.

If I do the same thing with Audacity or Max/MSP, there is not interruption in the sound. Any ideas what's the root of this?

I have no idea about the inner workings of hidio (is there a separate low-priority thread for handling the HID requests?), but Max/MSP has a different thread for DSP processing, and messaging is split into high and low-priority tasks.

"running only a sine wave", meaning the only patch that Pd is running is:

[osc~ 333]
| \
[dac~]

So, nothing to do with [hidio] here. Nor does it have anything to do with high or low priority Max messages since no messages are involved.

.hc