On 7/21/07, chris clepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 7/21/07, Miller Puckette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just as
> a teaser, I tried running the same patch as 32-bit and 64-bit programs
> on
> my 64-bit machine, hoping to find the 32-bit version so much faster that
> could just forget optimizing the 64 bit version entirely.  But I found
> the
> 64-bit one 33% faster than the 32-bit one for the particular patch I
> tried.
> So 64-bit compatibility has to be taken seriously!

If I had to hazard a guess that speedup is due to the compiler.  The 64
bit CPUs are all quite recent and the assumptions about what the fast paths
are a much smaller and generally much more efficient set than the 32 bit
options. No doubt some of that comes from the gamesmanship involved in
rigging and hyping scores on the baleful SPEC test suite.