I'm not a coder, but I could also give a sugestion, which I haven't tried myself for lack of time: how about circumventing tcl/tk, by writing your gui in gem? There was once a report that it's much faster - I can only say it does if you're using data structures inside a gop.

The problem is that Tcl/Tk is not the bottleneck when it comes to array
redrawing.  Its how pd sends draw commands.  Redrawing a big array
once
could result in literally 500KB of Tcl code generated by Pd and sent to
the GUI.

So whether you use Tcl/Tk, Qt, JUCE, or whatever, you'll have to address
that issue to get any real gain. I'd say the best place to start is try
updating the array drawing code so that it just sends a simple command
to Tcl and let's Tcl do the drawing work.  You could easily make that an
external and use it with any version of Pd.

.hc

Interesting. Still, this does not resolve the issue of a large number box on the screen being updated rapidly taking up a lot of CPU (it scales exponentially with growing font size and in this case I suspect Pd's output is minimal, amounting to change in the displayed set of characters).

Ico

Friedenstr. 58
10249 Berlin (Deutschland)
Tel +49 30 42020091 | Mob +49 162 6843570
Studio +49 30 69509190
jmmmp...@googlemail.com | skype: jmmmpjmmmp