On Feb 19, 2012, at 1:15 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Le 2012-02-19 à 10:05:00, Miller Puckette a écrit :
>
>> It's hilarious - there's exactly one aspect of Pd run-time semantics that
>> depends on screen location -- inlets/outlets of subpatches are numbered in
>> left-to-right order on teh screen.  To to thins someone has to call
>> gobj_getrect() on the inlet/outlet, which then not only has to report the
>> northwest corner but the entire rectangle, which depends on font size.
>
> You don't have to call gobj_getrect(), you need only te_xpix to figure out
> the order.
>
> But run-time semantics that depend on screen location is a bug. When it's
> like that by design, it's a bug by design, because there's a bug in the
> design.
>
> It's not as palpable as a bug in the implementation, which you can tell
> because the programme does not do as the design says. So people can argue
> endlessly about it, but you can still recognise that there's a problem with
> the design because people spend significant time talking about the gotcha,
> suggesting workarounds for the gotcha, teaching the gotcha, avoiding the
> gotcha, complaining about the gotcha ; and all along, things could have been
> better (unlike other things that look like a design bug but in which all
> solutions are equally annoying).
>
> It's also not hilarious... I mean, people who want to make fun of Pd may and
> will laugh about it, but for the users, it's not a big big fun.

I think that the order of the [inlet]s and [outlet]s on the screen matching the
order of the inlets and outlets on the abstraction that patch creates is a
wonderful idea, far from being a bug, really a clever design.  The inlets and
outlets on an object box are inescapably visually ordered.  That visual order
can then be represented by a number in the implementation.  Therefore it fits
that the visual placement of the [inlet] and [outlet] object would define the
visual placement of the inlets and outlets.

Perhaps in the implementation, that doesn't need to be so.

.hc