> > But the question of how to smoothly update table graphics without messing up
> > real-time behavior is still wode open.
>
> Ideally there would be some way of sharing the table memory with the GUI
> process.  Then the GUI process would just read that table using the clock of
> the screen refresh, at something like 60Hz, and handling the drawing itself.
> Then the DSP code could be totally ignorant of the drawing.  That would also
> make it easy to set the DSP processing priority higher than the redrawing
> priority.
>
> .hc

The difficulty with that is that you'd have to obtain a lock on the table in
order to safely read its contents from the GUI layer - and then, the real-time
layer could block on the lock and you'd get occasional hiccups in performance.

By the time you've made the interface lock-free, as far as I can see, you're
retty much stuck with a fifo of some type.  Admittedly, the way Pd and Tk
handle the fifos is currently laughably inefficint - but that's incrementally
fixable, whereas getting table updates to work well with a FIFO at all is
more fundamental I think.

cheers