On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Greg Surges wrote:

I'm a music composition/technology major at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, currently taking a course in PD, and also studying it in private lessons. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with matrix-type switching, i.e. a modular system in which any module can connect to any other module in any order.

Matrix-type switching doesn't allow "in any order", it's just a super-spigot that can handle all connections from M outlets to N outlets using a M by N grid of toggles.

I'm especially concerned with expandability, in my current layout, if I have n objects, I have to have n-squared switches. Above a certain number, adding a module could become very time-consuming.

The only way around that is to not include every possibility. Break down your matrix into smaller matrices according to which effect combinations are least likely.

I also need the ability for the system to allow recursive patching.

Recursively patching the DSP requires delay lines.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone has any insight into this problem and could possibly shine some light towards a solution.

Maybe if you shone some light towards a complete analysis of your problem...