On Nov 6, 2006, at 6:42 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
I'm going forward with this Moog-controlling plan.
I have Pd on my laptop, and have compiled [comport]. I'm not sure how
to use it, though.  As with so many things, most of the info I can
find online tells me way more than what I want.

What I want:
Is it possible to send constant values OR individual bits to the
serial port, as opposed to bytes separated by on/off bits?  How can I
set up the timing on this to send controllable PWM?
Will it be possible to send PWM from comport with -noaudio?
You can toggle the handshaking lines at high speed but you will run into the jitter caused by pd's audio block size. Or you could send data through the serial port with different ratios of on and off bits, but you will only get 8 different levels. I think you need to put a serial dac there. It's possible to clock serial data into a dac using just the handshaking lines -- one serves as a clock and the other data.

That's an idea for an object written in pd [serial-pwm]. It would PWM signals by flipping bits on the serial port. Frequency would be determined by a combo of baud rate and bits used for one cycle.

Hmm, I wonder if it would be useful at all...