You might also be interested in nightly builds:

http://autobuild.puredata.info

.hc

On Nov 14, 2006, at 7:30 PM, august wrote:

you have to generate it first, by running "autoconf" (obviously you need
to have autoconf installed on your system)

there used to be an autogen.sh script that would do all the autoconf stuff for you. I played with it for about a half hour, using a couple
of different versions of autotools  and got nowhere.

Any reason why this "autogen.sh"  is not included?

which version of pd do you try to build?

I just checked out a fresh cvs from sourceforge.

"autogen.sh" was never part of vanilla pd.

it used to be included in the cvs afair.

furthermore, it does not seem to be a "standard way" to build a software package to me ("standard" being one of: "make" or "./configure && make"
or "autoconf && ./configure && make" or "aclocal && autoconf &&
./configure && make")

I would go with just ./configure && make

autoconf and automake have so many different versions at this point.

the way to build vanilla pd, is:
~> cd ...pd/src
~> autoconf
~> ./configure
~> make
~> sudo make install

thanks

however, "autogen.sh" used to be part of pd-devel.
afaik, this has been replaced by a scons-based build system.
the way to build pd-devel (including desire data) is:
~> cd ...pd/src
~> scons

ok,  many thanks ...  but, I just downloaded the
pd-0.38-4-devel-2.tar.bz2 from sourceforge (linked from puredata.info)
and it still has the configure, make system.

seems to compile ok now, though.

(use "scons -h" and/or "scons -H" to find out more about scons)

vielen dank  -august.