I don't want to sound pretentious. But i think that there's an easy answer: save *everything* as a default behavior. I should load a patch and have the very same situation I had when I saved it.

It's true that we all use Pd in different ways and to accomplish various things. But it would be the most intuitive implementation to consider a patch in this way. I already use Pd like this, toggling the 'init' property for every slider and such. If I need to save the state of an abstraction I make a GOP that expose all the parameters I need so they're saved in the state they were when in the patch where I'm using them. If I want to reset something when the patch is loaded I use the loadbang.

An abstraction is a patch and so it should have its entire state stored when I save it. When I use a patch as an abstraction from another patch, saving the latter should save the state of the abstraction as it is.

To cut a long story short, I'm hearing the output of a patch now and I like what I hear. I hit ctrl-s, close Pd. When I reopen the patch I should hear the very same output. For backwards compatibility we can make a toggle in the settings for this new behavior and maybe separate the implementation from the state in the patch file format.

Maybe there are some drawbacks in this approach that I haven't considered. Let's discuss it.

c.

Miller Puckette wrote:
Exactly.  If I could answer those questions I'd code it up right now...

cheers
Miller