Thanks for the advice but I am hoping to avoid webcam due to inherent
quality/fps decrease. Also, what makes me wonder is because Kino works fine
but Gem doesn't and given that Edgy is more-or-less supposed to draw from
the bleeding edge lib versions that this kind of a problem will eventually
trickle down to other distros which may be currently relying upon older
versions of supporting libs, hence requiring update in Gem. If this is so, I
think sooner rather than later is probably a good idea.

Best wishes,

Ico