Charles Henry wrote:
Maybe I'm missing the point here, but isn't Haskell a compiled (not
interpreted) language?

There are a variety of compilers and interpreters.

> We can add any compiled function, wrapped in a
C-written external, just so long as we have the symbols for the
function from the binary.

True, and almost trivial, which is why the root of this thread mentioned "proof of concept". The slightly non-trivial part is that Haskell has a run-time system, and the rather non-trivial part is dynamically loading Haskell source at runtime.

*OR* we can write an external in some funky language, so long as we
can reference the functions from m_pd.h correctly in that language.

False. Pd expects a symbol blah_setup in a file blah.library (where .library is .pd_linux in my case).

I tried to put a Fortran function into an external, once compiled.
All I had to do was "grep" for the symbols exactly as they appeared in
the binary, and get the variables of the function declaration right.
Is this similar?

Not very.

> Have I missed the point entirely?

http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org/gallery/coding/hsext/first-non-trivial.png

The middle window in the top row is the entire source for the object. hsext provides the glue to load that source, with a large portion of rather non-trivial help from:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/hs-plugins/

Chuck

Claude
--