Thanks for the info Derek, I have been getting mad crazy errors with ALSA
and now I know to use Jack.  Is ALSA really in that rough of shape??  It's
always been a pain for me since I run PPC hardware which is very, very
poorly supported by ALSA unfortunately (I don't think I've had a single
machine with a functional line in capture under linux...)

Kevin