Daniel Zajicek wrote:
> I have downloaded PD, and have been trying to get GEM to work for most
> of today. I have downloaded
> Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc4-macosx104-powerpc.dmg from Han's site
> (http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html), but I continually get
> errors saying:
>

> iemabs: can't load library
> iemmatrix: can't load library
> liblist: can't load library
>
> pdp_text : severe error : could not load default font : no rendering !!!
> pdp_qtext : severe error : could not load default font : no rendering !!!

well, these are not errors related to installing Gem, are they?
you are missing _other_ externals.

>  In addition, I was unable to create objects, and instead pd would
> create a box with a dashed line around it (is this a comment box?).

this does not say much. it would be good ti know _which_ objects you
want to create: for instance i repeatedly fail to create the object
[flabbergast] but [pack] works just fine :-)

> So, thwarted by that, I downloaded Miller's most current version of pd
> 40-2, and thought I might just put GEM on there myself, but I can't
> figure out how to do it. This is my first time working with a program
> like pd, and I could used some assistance either installing GEM, or
> getting pd-extended to work.
>
> If it helps, I am running OS 10.3.9, on an G4 powerbook.

there are loads of way to load a library and many of them are described
in the Pd-manual (which is a good read anyhow).

basically, just drop the Gem.pd_darwin into the extra/Gem folder (you
probably want to create that folder) of your installation.
this can be a bit tricky on os-x, as your os would like you to stay out
of certain directories (and think they are really "applications")

another solution is to put your Gem.pd_darwin wherever you like and add
the path of it to pd's startup paths so it can find it when it searches
for Gem.

mfg.asdr
IOhannes