forgot to say that you have to start vlc like this:
vlc -I rc --rc-host=localhost:1234

here is a thread on the videolan forum regarding the video issue under os x
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53876&sid=f353cbd298aad77fd4a1b3407586e0f1

if anyone finds a fix post here please.

also the python code is just a working proof-of-concept and proper error handling should be added (if the connection drops for example).