IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
Jaime Oliver wrote:
have you tried coriander?
I know it is the way to make firewire cameras work in linux using
libdc, but had no luck interfacing with gem. it is something I've
putting off for a while,

it seems like i don't have any device that properly works with coriander.
however, from what i read, coriander can create a videoloopback device which can then be used by Gem as an ordinary "v4l" device.

i finally got hands on a camera that is supported by coriander ("Unibrain Fire-i BCL 1.2"), and it works fine with Gem using coriander & vloopback.

notes:
 - ubuntu does not come with vloopback modules
- i was using a ubuntu/intrepid machine which has a 2.6.27 kernel installed and the debian vloopback-source module is version 1.1 which does not work with >=2.6.27; i had to install vloopback-1.2 [1] which worked - the loopback device is of fixed size and this size somehow does not get propagated to Gem correctly; i had to manually set the size to the one i knew i was using (640x480)

mfg.adsr
IOhannes

[1] http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/VideoFourLinuxLoopbackDevice

have you tried that?