On Apr 8, 2009, at 5:35 AM, cyrille henry wrote:

Frank Barknecht a écrit :
Hallo,
Yes, there is some absurdity to this conversation. I guess Frank and I have been doing this for so long, its just part of a game we play ;-)

Anyway, I could give the instructions in one step:

1. use Pd-extended ;-)
But that's exactly what I mean: "mapping" IMO has become promotion material for pd-extended, but increasingly hard to use for users of newer Pd versions or
alternative distributions.
specially since it's mainly abstraction, i don't understand why we need to install it. i think for this specific lib, any dependency of object outside it's directory can be seen as a bug.

I don't understand this at all. Why did every modern operating system spend massive amounts of work to switch from static linking of libraries (i.e. including the library with the program itself) to dynamic, shared libraries (i.e. a single copy of a library shared by all programs that use it)?

.hc

I don't think many newbies really want to get into the nitty- gritty of hand-built Pd installs, but this conversation did make me smooth out the installation process. Before, the 10 steps were for creating a library from scratch. I think its pretty simple considering. Now, the libraries are pre-built in SVN, so you only need to:

1. cd /path/to/your/extra (or wherever you want to install stuff)
2. svn co
http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/externals/mapping
3. svn co
http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/abstractions/purepd
4. pd -lib libdir -lib purepd -lib mapping
You cheat a bit here: "svn co whereverlibdiris; make libdir", and I don't know, if help-files in mapping work then - with just your sets they won't. And you still have the requirement of putting the directories mapping and purepd into a directory in the pd path like "extra", so it's still four paths to set, just
like I wrote in my first mail.
Ciao