On Apr 8, 2009, at 3:23 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

Hallo,

On Apr 8, 2009, at 5:35 AM, cyrille henry wrote:
i think for this specific lib, any dependency of object outside it's
directory can be seen as a bug.

I don't understand this at all. Why did every modern operating system spend massive amounts of work to switch from static linking of libraries (i.e. including the library with the program itself) to dynamic, shared libraries (i.e. a single copy of a library shared by all programs that
use it)?

I think, advantages and disadvantages have to be weighted, and IMO mapping currently is leaning to a not very user friendly side. For example its use of [float_argument], [symbol_argument] and [once] from purepd creates a dependency
on purepd that is completely unnecessary: [once] is only used once,
[symbol_argument] also, and float_argument very often is used where a simple [f $1] would be enough (its second argument is empty). So I'd say, get rid of it
and be more friendly to users.

If there is good code out there, I want to use it, not reinvent it. If you use mapping in Pd-extended, you never need to know anything about what's happening inside, it just works. With a little bit of effort, Pd-vanilla users can also acheive this. That's why I am fixing up libdir.c and these libraries in SVN.

Another case is the "standardization" to use abstraction names, that require the (sometimes broken) hexloader: Life would be much easier for a lot of people
without the "->" convention.

Indeed, I fully agree. That's why I fixed it over a year ago :D mapping needs to hexloader tricks.

Other cases may not be so easy to fix and some externals are hard to replace, but as it currenly is, mapping looks like a collection that puts some abstract design principles higher than actual user demands. Of course that's just my
humble opinion, which is leaning to a much more simplistic side.

These libraries were a place for me to experiment with ways of handling libraries in Pd easier. Some of the experiments failed, but I think right now its in a pretty good place. So try it out the way it is now and tell me what doesn't work.

.hc

Ciao
--
Frank

All information should be free.  - the hacker ethic