On Apr 21, 2009, at 5:14 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

Laurent WILLKOMM wrote:
Hi pd-list,
if I give a canvas a label including a #, it shows a $ instead (Debian, WinXP, OSX). Is this a bug or intended behavior ?

it's the way it is currently implemented: guiobjects internally use # to represent $ (to bypass Pd's (and probably tcl's) expansion mechanism).
therefore all # are replaced by $.

you could consider this as a bug (though i think it's unlikely to get "fixed" anytime...soon).

I am curious, what are the barriers to fixing it? If someone came up with a better way to represent $, then I don't really see a problem with fixing that. There won't be backwards compatibility issues since the $ is saved in the patch instead of the #. Do you really think that anyone has written some crazy kludge that relies on # being converted into $ on the canvas label?