Flo,

i am sure you have tried this, and others have suggested it too, but there is always the [shell] external in externals/ggee i think.

mfg,adsr
Peter

Florian Hollerweger wrote:
Hi list,

I am a happy user of Chris McCormick's recent suggestion for Pd/shell communication using [netsend], [netreceive] and a shell script piping commands from/to pdreceive/pdsend in a while loop (based on a solution by Claude):

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2009-02/067864.html

However, this ceases to work when the Pd patch is restarted, since the ports remain occupied. While one can close the link from Pd to the script before restarting the patch using the [disconnect< message to [netsend], there seems to be no clean way of closing the connection from the script to Pd.

I am guessing that one would need to modify Chris' script in a way that it is possible to send a 'disconnect' event from Pd to the script, which causes it to close the pipe to Pd, right?

Not being the world's greatest shell scripter, I would appreciate any hints on how this could be accomplished.

best,
flo.H