When passwords and permissions were first added to computers, lots of hackers resisted in many ways (y'know back when there was like 50 computers in the world ;). Basically the military managers required it, but most of the users didn't want it. They organized a compaign to have everyone set their passwords to the same thing. Too bad we need all these passwords... I suppose permissions are useful for preventing yourself from shooting your foot off.

.hc