On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, Chris McCormick wrote:
On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 03:40:20PM +0200, ydego...@gmail.com wrote:
classification analog/digital is very arbitrary,
as all use both, like pan sonic uses a lot of electronics,
i don't know why they will still be classified in computer music,
maybe the way they use it
makes it sound like computer music-?
Yeah, totally agree.

John Denver's «Country Roads» is computer music when it's been coded into 6809 machine code to be played on a Tandy 6-bit DAC. In the summer of 1983, my father left our rural isles by plane several times to get some training in the city of Québec, and each time he came back he had some 600-baud tapes with more programmes. Back then, we used to load this programme over and over to hear the marvellous sound coming out of it...

Frankly, I don't care how much academicians use confusing terms for their own music at the expense of the rest of the population. I mean, «computer» and «music» are terms for everybody and if you just put those two words together it should make a term for everybody doing music with a computer, or some other sensible subset of it that doesn't have to do with whether the composers got tenure.