On Fri, 2 Oct 2009, saint wrote:

I'm looking for a way to send an object (or an external) a bunch of list messages and for that object to then store them and output them at 2ms intervals in a sort of a queue.

if the messages are all of a fixed length and all made of floats, you could look into using several [pipe] at once.

But if ever you need your messages to be more free-form (variable length, mixed symbols) you may enjoy [textfile] even though you won't be writing to files, reading from files, converting to text, or from text. It's a misnomer really.

And because you can't delete the queue items that you are done with ([textfile] only supports deleting the whole contents), then I suppose it'd be better if you use a few counters, and use a second [textfile] so that once in a while, one of the [textfile]s only contains obsolete data, so that you can clear it, so that you don't make a memory-leak.

Using externals instead of internals, you could use a single [coll], that can delete single elements. In that case you save yourself the trouble of double-buffering, but afaik you still have to use counters.

if you want something even more automatic, I haven't looked into Holzmann's containers, but I assume that they offer a lot more than either [textfile] or [coll].