Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :

On Dec 13, 2009, at 3:11 PM, cyrille henry wrote:

Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
Why introduce a new method of configuration when you can do this all with Pd messages? It seems to me to overcomplicate things for a tiny gain. Gem is already complicated as it is, now there is yet another way to configure it: messages, env vars, and a special conf file. I don't see any reason why this all can't be handled by messages and a [loadbang].

the nice thing is that you don't have to use it if you don't like it....

i will not use it because i also prefer the "everything in one patch" : you have less surprises when sharing patches. (that is also why i think a good patch is a patch that could start with -nopref flag on pd startup)

I totally agree, we should be working towards everything in the patch, and they should work with pd -nopref. Sure, no one has to use it, but if someone does use it, and then you want to use their patch, then you have to use

it's the same problem than someone using pd pref file to load path and libs...

except that having a gemwin default size is not so important regarding to not
having a lib when loading a patch.

but i would understand someone that set gemwin framerate at 50 fps because the default 20 fps is a nonsense...

cyrille

Isn't that changed by doing [gemwin 50]? That doesn't seem so hard that a gem.conf is needed.

when loading Gem examples, i don't bother to change it in order to try it. but
i'm still annoy by the 20fps...

a nice use i see with this conf file is to change default video in device.
so that you don't have change your patch if you change computer (1 with V4L and
1 with V4L2 webcam)...

Cyrille