On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Roman Haefeli wrote:

I don't know "the" formula, but I did it by putting two "Dreisätze" (rules of three?) in a row: The first scales the input to 0-1, the second scales 0-1 to the output range. If written out as a formula, this could probably even made shorter, I don't know. Check the attached scale_abs.pd

That's quite exactly how I shown my students how to change the range of values, except we didn't have to do the stuff on the right because we were not trying to make an abstraction with it.

I mean, the [-] [/] [*] [+] sequence is exactly the same.

It's possible to make the left inlet run faster by condensing the formula to just a [*] and a [+], but then the right inlets become more complicated and slower. It's a possible tradeoff if you have to make the left inlet real fast, but I haven't taught that, and I didn't try to make an abstraction with it.