Great, I found it.
http://puredata.info/docs/tutorials/HowToReadHIDDevicesInLinuxWithoutBeingRoot

On 06/09/2010 05:57 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

I think there is a howto on http://puredata.info or http://wiki.puredata.info/en try searching there.

.hc

On Jun 8, 2010, at 9:28 PM, ailo wrote:

The only object that seems to do this is [hid/mouse], but I can't get it to detect any hardware.
I was searching the web for some clues.
There were some posts about udev permissions, but the configuration files for udev seems to have changed since then.

Never been messing around with that sort of thing before, so I'd appreciate some help.