I remember seeing some company did a complete software package expressely for this, programmed in Pd. It looked quite impressive, but I can't find the link now. I googled for "software cue theater pure data", and got no results.

João

I would recommend one big patch. You can make abstractions for the individual parts and a main interface for each so, so each abstraction can be reused by mutliple shows etc.

I made a sound board for a theater show I was in which worked out great and could be easily extended through a midi interface. The buttons are subpatches which contain the sound generation/playback and channel control so everything is automatic.