Absolutely, he can't (and that can be a good thing). How do
you know how a
staccato in a Beethoven piano sonata really sounds?

Do you mean "how a staccato in a Beethoven sonata
sounded to an audience member listening to the composer himself play
it"?  Because I don't at all understand what it means to say
what a notated piece of music "really" sounds like.

the original question had to do with how a composer expresses his wishes as well as possible so other performers interpret it correctly. What a pieces "really" sounds like is another question, most likely much more complicated, I guess.