On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Ludwig Maes wrote:

Here in belgium, in dutch, we also say other right/left, but since
french is one of our languages, that could be the origin, on the other
hand I dont really believe its language related:

I talked about my language because I can't speak about the others.

And the others include the English language, which I rarely use outside of computer stuff.

from inside a head your left eye is not the same as from outside the head (like face culling in OpenGL,...).

Or more commonly, people expect to see their own face mirrored as in a mirror, and other peoples' faces as non-mirrored, and this is how webcam streams have to be displayed on-screen (one straight, one mirrored).