Andrew,

        you should be able to use readanysf~ to do what you want.

        just [open( the file and then [time_seek( or  [pcm_seek( to any
        position in the file and then [play(

        you could also use soundfiler on a large wav file using -skip and and
        -nframes to load the file.   after that you can do normal table
        lookup and manipulation (play forwards, backwards, slower, faster,
        etc)

        best -august.