Pierre,

        These are very interesting and specific questions you have asked.
        I'm pretty sure there will be widely varied responses.  How to pay
        for the development of free software is a major gaping hole between
        two viable logics, one that says you need to horde your own labor for
        personal gain (and so as not to be exploited), and another that says
        you grow more wealth collectively if you share with others.  There is
        a ton of literature on the theory, but I find little on the practice.
        Who is doing what?

        I just now discovered the following recent articles from the free
        cultural forum and thought I'd pass it along:

        http://fcforum.net/sustainable-models-for-creativity

        In it they outline in not too many words various economic models for
        sustainable cultural (software included) development.

        best -august.