Le 2012-01-13 à 16:10:00, João Pais a écrit :

I already have an abstraction in pd to automatically set the offset to play segments with tabread4~. But if I need e.g. to play indices 100000000 to 100000111, which are read from an array, and then rescaled in the meantime, how is it possible to keep precision using symbol-tricks?

No. A hundred million is already beyond capacity of the float32 format (in terms of contiguïty), anything made with text formats will get converted to float32 before they get used.

The 2nd inlet doesn't help me much, if the numbers going inside are still wrong.

What can I say... just don't make them wrong ! :}

Or, a concrete question: my table has 15312000 samples (5m19s@48K). You mean that if I want to play from index 15311000 to 15312019, (these values are read from a file and stored in an array, and also quantized in the way), the precision will be correct, just will be printed wrongly in the atom boxes?

For [tabread~], yes, because they're below 16777216.

For [tabread4~], it will be exactly like plain [tabread4~], because starting at half of 16777216, you don't have fractional indices anymore, and the whole point of [tabread4~] is to use fractional indices. For normal playback, [tabread~] is ok, but if you want to speed up or slow down the playback, you may need a few extra bits of precision to prevent certain artifacts.