On Feb 12, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

>> Thanks a lot!
>>
>> Ivica, what about using this for backtrace?
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/backtrace-mingw/
>
> It is not necessary. It is a matter of making sure you use proper build
> system. The current code should build just fine on Windows (although I never
> tried it) as its build system is based on Pd-extended which also builds for
> Windows. The problem does not lie therefore in backtracing but rather
> revamping pd.tk to circumvent fixes and improvements that do not take into
> account OSs other than Linux. Some work has been already done with this in
> the early days when I was working on having these improvements submitted
> upstream. Also, understand that while pd.tk is on paper one version behind
> latest 0.43 tcl implementation, it also has plenty of improvements that do
> not exist in 0.43, so in some respects is ahead of curve (but is also behind
> in terms of code-cleanliness). At some point those may have to be reconciled
> (likely once 0.43 branch is rock solid tcl-wise (which may be already the
> case), I find enough time to do this, and a reason to do it).

I'm happy to help in this process where I can.  I did it myself not so long
ago, since the pd-gui-rewrite/0.43 development was based off of vanilla, then I
had to port all my changes from pd-extended 0.42 to vanilla 0.43  I also used
that as a time to switch the pd-extended core to git and have it based off of
the pure-data.git.  This makes it much much less work for me to both keep in
sync with Miller and to submit patches to Miller.

As for reasons, I can try to give you a couple:

- Pd window that handles different log post levels (fatal, error, normal,
debug, etc.) and dynamically changes views between those levels

- drastically faster posting to the Pd window (1000s of message per second
without preventing patching).

- easy customization using GUI plugins

- full UTF-8 support

- localization and already many translations

More info here:
http://puredata.info/dev/NextRelease