It won't really be a fork since I plan on making one more release, then I'm
unlikely to touch the code again.  So really, your development will be the
active development.

I would prefer that you use a different name unless you are interested in
providing strict compatibility with the current Pduino.  Things like using
namespace prefixes are one example of compatibility that it sounds like you are
not interested in, for example.  Pduino deliberately uses namespace prefixes
because that's currently the only way to guarantee the correct object is being
loaded.  Using [declare -lib zexy]  [makesymbol] does not currently guarantee
that (tho it should).

.hc

On Mar 3, 2012, at 6:47 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> Hi Hans
>
> On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 08:55 -0800, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> I'm happy to see you working on this.  Since you are making a new
>> version, perhaps it makes sense to change the names.  Like maybe it
>> makes sense to change the object from [arduino] to [firmata]?  That's
>> something I thought about doing in the past.  This would also make it
>> easier for testers going forward because they could keep the old
>> Pduino installed and also use your new library.  I suppose then the
>> library would be called something besides Pduino too.
>>
>> But if you want to keep those names, that's fine by me.
>
> Actually, I prefer not to host a separate version/fork. I think the
> design of the protocol and its implementation in [arduino] is solid and
> I haven't messed at all with it. Our efforts for [arduino] were mainly
> focused on smallish issues with usability and portability. Our plans are
> to eventually push it into Debian as pd-arduino. For that goal, some
> changes like getting rid of name-spaced objects (for instance:
> [zexy/makesymbol], doesn't work in Debian with pd-zexy) and some other
> stuff were necessary. Plus, it got a bug fixed Ingo discovered a while
> ago. Still, the overall changes to [arduino] itself are rather smallish
> and I wouldn't expect any severe bugs. Also, I think we tested it quite
> well.
>
> The main effort, however, went into documentation and [arduino-gui] and
> to figure out the tiny details and differences between the several
> Firmata versions around in order to make the help-patch consistent as
> documentation and [arduino-gui] consistent in its behaviour.  I consider
> the updated help-patch a significant improvement (in that it covers all
> features of the firmware, is clear in which pin supports which mode,
> explains the differences in different firmware versions) and I wouldn't
> see a reason to keep to old one living.
>
> Personally, I'd much prefer not to host a separate fork and I am all for
> joining forces, not separating them. With your consent, I'd like to push
> the new version to the svn repository. We could wait to do so, until we
> got some positive reports from a few people, of course. There is really
> no hurry.  Also, I'd take responsibility for any issues and bugs related
> to Pduino (if that is what you want; I don't plan any 'hostile
> take-over').
>
> Finally, if we eventually agree on merging our git Pduino with the
> official pd-svn/externals/hardware/arduino, I'd like to bump the Pduino
> version to the Firmata version. As I understand, [arduino] is a plain
> implementation of the Firmata protocol, not less, not more. I think it
> would make sense to reflect the version of the protocol it implements in
> its own version. We could still add a bug-fix number, so changes to
> [arduino] without switching the prococol version could be reflected.
> Something like
>
> 2.3.1
> [...]

deliberately throwing it away to benefit those who profit from scarcity."
 -John Gilmore