On 7/15/2012 8:43 AM, Simon Wise wrote:
On 15/07/12 04:26, Rob Bothof wrote:

Hi Tim, thank you for the shared blues on midi timing ;)
what i find strange is that i do not use jack for midi, i disabled alsa
sequencer in jackd
so midi should go directly to pd.

only thing i change is the audio card from alsa to jack...i don't see how this
would influence the midi, but it does..

as I understand it jack MIDI is much better than alsa MIDI as far as timing, jitter and latency goes, so if you are wanting to use MIDI this way you are probably better off using jack MIDI. Its on my TODO list to look into it more, someone else could explain in more detail.

If I am correct then jack MIDI is synced to the jack audio timing, while the jitter and so forth in alsa MIDI is something of a hangover from the hardware/serial port history of MIDI.

Simon

thanx, I thought jack midi was only used by soundcards with midi support, like some firewire cards for example..? but I have solved this for now by using the commandline pd -midiindev 2, routing the raw /dev/midi device device to pd, now it works regarless of the sound, though the default-midi never shows any devices for me...the commandline still works! would be nice if there was a way to route /dev/midi directly to a jackmidi port...
i'm gonna check out some of the jack examples for simpleclients..

best,
Rob