Feel free to ask questions!  That's why we have this list!

On Feb 23, 2013, at 3:52 AM, Björn Eriksson wrote:

> That sounds hopeful! Even though I am far from a coder to consider
> starting to propose some changes.
>
> How are the normal procedures when something new is implemented as a
> GUI preference?

It's a pretty new thing, so there is not really a procedure.  Check out how
"Open Recent Files" is implemented for an example.  The language selector would
be easier since it just stores one piece of data, not a list of files.

> Are there someone coming up with some code suggestions and then tests
> of that - - - or are there a place to put an idea like this, in a list
> - a wishlist - and then someone sooner or later possible takes on a
> coding task - or is it "here" or at "pd-developments" list a think
> like this is proposed and discussed?

There is the feature request tracker for wish list items, but right now, I
think few developers ever implement other people's feature requests.  We all
have our on lists of things we want to implement, and I think those lists are
usually too long for the dev time we have anyhow.

So if you want something to get implemented, your best bet is to either do it
yourself, or find someone to commit to doing it.

> Sorry for a multitude of questions?
>
> Speaking of the importance of a language selector, I would put it
> rather high. By some "default" mechanisms we speak english here on
> this list - to maybe 99.5%, and that it also a good thing as it acts
> as an interface between languages, but also when you are learning
> totally new aspects (as we can expect some of Pd newcomers to be) then
> it can be really helpful to have a learning process more near a native
> language. The best of it would be if the language selector could be
> instantly flushing to the new language, like that there can be an
> enhanced understanding when comparing menues and menue selections as
> you see the language change and can compare between languages that you
> are more or less familiar with.

> I hope my idea don´t sound too complicated. Also I wish there is a
> wishlist. Otherwise it is here above.

I'm committed to making Pd-extended respect the system method for setting the
default language, and if it is not, then its a bug that should be reported.  I
know the Mac OS X language detection is implemented wrong, so I hope to fix
that soon (it should follow the language selector, not the language of the
Dock).  As far as I can tell, the Windows detection is implemented correctly,
but it looks like that might not be true.  For that, I'd need to see
documentation on how Windows apps are supposed to detect the language, and then
I'd need to have people with Windows in other languages test things.  I use
German installations of Windows XP and Windows 7, and it works properly there.
But I use those systems in German, not English.

If anyone wants to make a language preference to set Pd-extended to a different
language that the system language, I would accept that as a patch, but I'm not
the one to implement it since that's not something I ever do.

.hc