On 01/16/2014 11:50 AM, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> Having had some problems with audio drop outs in Ubuntu, I am now giving
> Sabayon 14.01 a try. I'm trying to compile Pd, ./autogen.sh seemed to work
> fine, but when I type ./configure --enable-jack things go wrong. At the end
> of configure I get these messages:
> ./configure: line 15417: syntax error near unexpected token `JACK,'
> ./configure: line 15417: `    PKG_CHECK_MODULES(JACK, jack, have_jack=yes,

ok, so there are a number of things here.

the first thing you should always do when you are trying to compile Pd
on a debian derivative (i don't know sabayon-14.01, but it sounds very
much like a ubuntu derivative, which in turn is a debian derivative), is
to install all the stuff Debian uses to build the "puredata" package.

$ apt-get build-dep puredata

it seems that the PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro has not been expanded in the
configure file, which most likely means that you have ignored (or
overseen) an error when running autogen.sh.
you must install the `pkg-config` package, so that autotools know what
to do with the PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro.

as roman has noticed, th is not really Pd's configure but the one from
portaudio.
"pkg-config" will not be installed with the above apt-get command,
because Debian completely disables the portaudio that comes with Pd (and
uses the one installed in the "portaudio19-dev" package).
in any case, you can disable portaudio, with the "--disable-portaudio" flag.
as roman has also pointed out, this will only disable building
portaudio, but will still try to run pa's configure (which is the one
that fails). you can disable recursive configure invocation by adding
the "--no-recursion" flag to configure.

$ ./configure --disable-portaudio --disable-portmidi --no-recursion

> plus some other stuff that don't seem write (out of intuition, not
> knowledge or experience) for example:
> checking machine/soundcard.h usability... no
> checking machine/soundcard.h presence... no
> checking for machine/soundcard.h... no
> checking for _oss_ioctl in -lossaudio... no

nothing wrong here.

> I also got lots of warnings when I typed make, like:
> msgfmt --check --tcl --locale=af -d . af.po
> af.po:6: warning: header field 'Language' missing in header

i don't know anything about this. but i guess it's not problematic (and
in any case would only be related to i18n; so if you don't absolutely
need a greek pd, i would ignore these warnings).

fgmadsr
IOhannes

PS: debian already comes with puredata-0.45.4