I've been using this external of mine which is certainly ongoing work for
converting pitch-duration pairs into Lilypond Scores. Here is the c code and an
os x binary:

http://www.jaimeoliver.pe/archives/2827

Pitch is expressed in midi and duration in multiples of a smaller unit of
reference. If the smallest duration is a 32nd, a duration of 4 will give you an
8th note.

I hope to improve it over the summer and get chords and tuplets which are not
there just yet, but most importantly to make readable notations (i.e. get the
beat to be easy to view…)

Anyway, all comments are welcome at this stage...

best,