Dale, if you are getting 200 for an obviously bad api-key, then the
authentication format is not correct. Examples/details at:

  https://github.com/peeringdb/peeringdb/issues/1220#issuecomment-1209763911

With a correctly formated auth request, 401 (unauth) will be returned for
a bad key.

Please reach out to me privately with your source IP if you'd like me to
review how the server sees your requests, or for efficiency efforts, or if
you need any help getting api-key authentication working.

Thanks!

Chris