William McBrine wrote:

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Pavol Severa wrote:

I'd like text printed with printf() to appear and stay on stdscr. What is a reasonable way to do it?

More context, please.

In general, you shouldn't mix stdio with curses, especially not in PDCurses. But there's usually little reason to. Depending on exactly what you're trying to do: one approach might be to replace all the printf() calls with printw(); or, #define printf printw. printw() can do all that printf() can (same format strings).

So far my plan is (not implemented yet):
1.create a temporary file
2.redirect stdout to the file using freopen
3.read the file and write it to stdscr
4.close and delete the file
Should I do it that way?

No. There's gotta be an easier way than that. :-)

Yes, it would help to have more context. But I think I do something similar.

The context in my case is to display a help file, or output from a data analysis program. I create a temporary file. I do not redirect stdout, but you probably could. I just fprintf to the temporary file. I then read the temporary file, line by line. I don't write to stdscr, I have a separate display WINDOW. After displaying the temporary file, it gets deleted. I'm sure this all is not new.

William is right, it's not easy. You have to keep track of lots of details. You may be able to do something much simpler. The reason I do it this way, is it lets the user scroll up and down in the file. Also, some of the text displayed is wide, so it lets the user pan left and right. A separate window under the display window has a list of commands the user can enter to move around in the file. The temporary file is just sitting there for a while, so you can move around in it, and display different portions.

Daniel Goldman