I'm a bit confused about font specifications in Xcurses.  (Actually, in
Xorg programs in general.)

        I built the Xcurses package with the default settings, but when I run
demo programs I see these messages:

| Warning: Cannot convert
string "-misc-fixed-medium-o-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso10646-1" to type
FontStruct
| Warning: Cannot convert
string "-misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso10646-1" to type
FontStruct

the programs seem to work correctly, and if I comment out the #defines so
that they use the non-wide fonts I see that the text displayed is smaller, so
apparently the programs are somehow using alternate fonts?  (seems like
there is a touch of magic happening here.) If so, is there a way to suppress
those messages?

Addendum:
        Okay, looking further, I see that the calls that actually use these
font definitions are
conditional, reverting to the narrow fonts when the pointers to these fonts are
invalid.

        That being the case, searching the web, I have been unable to find
misc-fixed fonts with
those characteristics.  I don't know much about how Xorg provides fonts, but I
assume the
misc-fixed fonts really are unscalable.  Can I substitute other, scalable
monospace fonts
for the above?  Would I need to modify the code, or can I specify them in an
Xresources
file?

Leslie
--