Hello PDL peeps,

I'm trying to build PDL in macOS 10.13.3 (High Sierra) and am getting a
build test error in a pre-req, specifically, in PerlIO::Layers. The
scenario:

sudo cpan install PDL.  # Warning: prerequisite File::Map 0.57 not found.
There are other pre-req errors but the first one is a deal-killer.

sudo cpan install File::Map  # this build failed to find its pre-req,
PerlIO::Layers, so it downloaded the bits and attempted to build it. The
script reported the build was OK, but its tests failed with:

t/00-compile.t ............ 1/1
#   Failed test 'PerlIO/Layers.pm loaded ok'
#   at t/00-compile.t line 35.
#          got: '512'
#     expected: '0'

File attached of relevant output. Notice that PERL5LIB and PERL5OPT at
lines 30 and 31 are not resolved. PERL5LIB is set in my env (bash) but I am
not setting PERL5OPT, whatever that means in this build. If PERL5LIB must
be resolved, the build script is not pulling it from my env, and if
PERL5OPT must be set, I need to know what to set it to.

My compiler is:

$ gcc -v
Configured with: --prefix=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple LLVM version 9.0.0 (clang-900.0.39.2)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin17.4.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin

Any ideas? (Yes, I know how fucking arrogant Apple is about building stuff
on its latest OS, but getting PDL to run on my mac is very high priority
:-)  Why run R (and invest hours and hours learning it) when you can run
PDL?)

Regards,
Will Schmidt
t.william.schm...@gmail.com