Hi, Will!

Answers in line.

Cheers,
Craig

> On Apr 8, 2018, at 11:33 AM, William Schmidt <t.william.schm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Craig,
>
> Thank you, it works but first I had to pick those method calls apart to see
> what each is doing and rtfm about sever in PDL::Core.
>
> So, I am left with a set of questions best depicted with some examples. As I
> understand the ::Core pod, that random call and floor are creating a virtual
> piddle that functions to slice or index into $vec. And since the virtual
> piddle is longer than $vec, it loops until exactly the number of items in the
> virtual piddle are pushed from $vec into $rand.

Almost — but not quite.  It works because the *value* of each of the million
elements of floor(random(1e6)*8) is between 0 and 7.  So on average you get
about 125,000 copies of each value in $vec in the output vector, in this
example.

> So, what is the difference in the following invocations?
>
> $rand = $vec->(floor(random(1e6) * 8))->sever;      # yours
> $rand = $vec->(floor(random(1e6) * 8));
> $rand = $vec->index(floor(random(1e6) * 8))->sever;
> $rand = $vec->index(floor(random(1e6) * 8));
>
> When I inspect $rand, all are different, since random() probably generates a
> fresh seed, but they all look to be examples of my weighted probability
> distribution.
>
> To be precise, is there an implied or default method call after $rand =
> $vec->... in your example, and what is lost when sever is not invoked?

Hmmm,  all those should give the same answer.  The “sever” breaks an implicit
connection between piddles.  A quirk of PDL is that all indexing operations
keep their output connected to the input.  The final operation in the
expressions in lines 2 and 4 is an index of some kind (either via “index” or
via “niceslice”, which implements the slicing syntax).  The output remains
connected to $vec, which costs some memory (PDL has to store the complete
mapping between elements, since it is arbitrary rather than affine).  The
“sever” makes sure that you get back a standalone PDL that is no longer
connected to anything.

The slicing and indexing operations do the same thing in 1-D, but they
generalize slightly differently.  Niceslice doesn’t allow multidimensional
indices.  Index does, but they have to agree (in a threading matchup sense)
with the indices of the source array.

> I think I can visualize how to generalize this algorithm but it is much less
> intuitive than the way one can do it in R and building $vec can be
> problematic, or am I missing something? A complex set of weights using reals,
> for example: [0.18, 0.31, 0.05, 0.07,...] summing to 1 would require a lot of
> fiddling for it to be used as a slice.

The easiest way to generalize it is to just let $vec get huge.  If you want six
significant digits of precision in the probability, you can just create a
million-bin $vec.  That’s independent of the number of actual output values you
want.  The whole idea of languages like PDL (or, to some extent, R) is to trade
computer effort for yours — so brute-forcing a lookup to moderate size is no
big deal.  If you’re doing a *lot* of computations (e.g. sampling a million
different distributions) then you want something more elegant — but if you’re
doing under, say, a thousand different ones then brute force is just the trick.
 One advantage of doing it that way is that if you accumulate the bins in your
$vec algorithmically you don’t have to normalize — just track out how many
elements you use as you accumulate,and divide by that number in the end.

For heavier firepower, you can use PDL::GSL, which includes the whole suite of
random number generators from the Gnu Scientific Library.  If you want an
arbitrary threshold selector, you can
use the following one-level-less-brute-force code:

        ###########
        # rand_i_from_histogram
        # Pass in a 1-D histogram of probabilities for the index integer value,
and
        # a set of parameters to random(), and get back an appropriately sized
        # array of samples of the random variable with that histogram’s
distribution.
        # Probabilities are auto-normalized.
        use strict;
        sub rand_i_from_histogram {
            my $cumudist = pdl(shift)->cumusumover;   # invoke pdl() to allow
array refs.
            my $rand = random( @_ ) * $cumudist->max; # pass all remaining
parameters to random()
            my $out = zeroes($rand);                  # Make space for the
output
          for my $i(0..$cumudist->nelem-2){        # Implement threshold
selection
            $out += ( $rand >= $cumudist->(($i)) );
          }
          return $out;
        }
        $samples = rand_i_from_histogram([0.18,0.31,0.05,0.07], 10);