Hi Ed,

I think that works because Homebrew installs to /usr/local and
/usr/local/include is one of the hard-coded paths in the IO/GD/Makefile.PL.  I
thought it was strange that Makefile generation didn't complain about libgd for
me, just gd.h.  That's because the Makefile.PL looks in $Config{libpth}, which
for my perl includes /opt/local/lib.  I opened an issue last night with a
half-patch.

Derek